Penalties were among several problems for Ohio State in a blowout loss at Iowa on Saturday. That continued a troubling trend.

Ohio State was penalized nine times for 95 yards in the 55-24 loss and now has the sixth-most penalty yards (695) in the nation. Coach Urban Meyer has never been caught up in trying to be the least-penalized team in the land because mistakes happen from time to time, but there is a line.

“There were a couple of devastating penalties that kept (Iowa) drives alive, and no excuse for them,” he said. “That's something we've addressed. … Those kind of games, you can't have those.”

A targeting hit by Nick Bosa, who struck Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley helmet to helmet late in the second quarter, not only led to Bosa’s disqualification but also gave the Hawkeyes new life at the OSU 25-yard line with the score tied at 17. On the next play, Stanley threw one of his five touchdown passes, setting off a 31-0 scoring run.

“He came up, apologized,” Meyer said of Bosa. “It was unique. It wasn't an open-field type thing. He was just lunging at the ball, is what he told me. There was no intent, is what he told me.”

Defensive reset

Iowa at times turned the Ohio State defense inside out with a passing game that laid bare the inability of the linebackers to run with or match up with tight ends and backs.

Meyer said there were some mistakes by the players but didn’t put it all on the linebackers.

“We didn't play very well, so, yeah, anytime you see that type of thing, you don't want to just say it's all miscues,” Meyer said. “It's (just that) the week before there wasn't the miscues and there were this week. And now the question you have to ask is why.

“And that's not so much the how, but why did that happen? Are we not practicing (correctly)? Have we got the right people playing? All those types of things.”

Will Campbell return?

There was no word Monday on the status of hybrid back and co-captain Parris Campbell for Saturday’s game against Michigan State. Campbell did not make the trip to Iowa as he recovered from a head injury that caused him to leave the Penn State game in the first quarter.