Ohio State receivers coach Zach Smith appeared in Delaware Municipal Court on Wednesday afternoon to face a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespassing.

He had already pleaded not guilty.

The case was continued for a final pretrial hearing, Smith's attorney, Bradley Koffel, told The Dispatch.

The incident that led to the charge occurred on May 12 at Smith's ex-wife’s home, according to a Powell Police Department report.

Although the police report states that Smith was arrested, Koffel said that wasn’t the case. He said Smith was cited after he dropped off his son at his ex-wife’s apartment that day.

Koffel said the issue is whether Zach Smith is allowed to do that. The shared-parenting plan between Zach and Courtney Smith says he can, according to Koffel. He added that a police officer told Zach Smith five months ago that he could no longer do that, although the attorney said that’s not binding.

“They pick up and drop off like every other divorced family,” Koffel said. “They said, 'He was told by one of our officers five months ago not to drop off at her apartment.' I said that’s not enough to override a domestic-court order on where he’s allowed to drop off or pick up his kids. It’s a court order that controls this.”

Koffel said that on May 12, Zach Smith called his ex-wife about where to drop off their son.

“He’s just following what he’s supposed to do as a noncustodial parent,” Koffel said. “She decided, with little or no notice, 'Don’t drop our son off at my place.' He said, ‘Where do I drop him off?’"

Koffel said that Zach Smith didn’t get an immediate answer.

“He’s on the clock" for returning his son, Koffel said. “He’s like, ‘You know what, I’m going to drop him off at your place. No harm, no foul.’

“She took exception to that and called the Powell Police Department. There were no threats. He never got out of his car. They weren’t even in an argument.”

Koffel said he had been hopeful that the case would be dismissed Wednesday. He said that didn’t happen after media reports of the case surfaced shortly before Smith appeared in court. The case was continued, he said.

“Everyone’s taking a breather,” Koffel said. “We’re continuing negotiations. We’re continuing to get to the bottom of this.

“What’s next is surviving this media storm and then a prosecutor realizing there’s some proof problems, because the state has to prove he didn’t have a right to be there. He did have a right to be there.”

The Delaware City prosecutor's office was unable to provide information on the case.

Koffel said that Smith was concerned about the damage to his reputation.

“He’s just beside himself,” Koffel said. “He didn’t do anything illegal, and now it’s coming out that he’s some sort of wife-beater, trespasser, whatever. The inferences being drawn from the headlines are horrible.”

Smith, 34, is the grandson of former Ohio State coach Earle Bruce, who died in April. Smith is the only Buckeyes assistant remaining from coach Urban Meyer’s original Ohio State staff in 2012.

An Ohio State spokesman said the university is aware of the charge but had no further comment.