The remainder of the Big Ten men’s basketball tournament in Indianapolis has been canceled.

The news was announced in a statement from Big Ten assistant commissioner of communications Adam Augustine.

"The Big Ten Conference will use this time to work with the appropriate medical experts and institutional leadership to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic," Augustine said in a statement. "The main priority of the Big Ten Conference continues to be the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, administrators, fans and media as we continue to monitor all developing and relevant information on the COVID-19 virus."

Ohio State was scheduled to play at 6:30 p.m. today against Purdue. The announcement came roughly 20 minutes before the day’s slate of games was scheduled to begin, starting with Michigan and Rutgers at noon.

Immediately on Instagram, two of Ohio State’s players expressed their disbelief in live videos.

"It’s stupid, bro what are we doing, bro?" junior CJ Walker, an Indianapolis native, said. "I’m literally at home."

The news came one day after the league initially announced its plans to continue to play the tournament without fans inside the stands at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. As Wednesday night progressed, multiple sources in and around the Ohio State program expressed doubt about whether they would play Thursday or not.

The future of the NCAA Tournament, scheduled to take place next week, is unknown. Also Thursday, the ACC announced it was canceling the remainder of its tournament, joining a list that also includes the SEC, American, Western Athletic Conference USA , Pac-12 and Atlantic 10 conferences. The Big East was still playing as of Thursday afternoon.

"I’m kind of upset," freshman E.J. Liddell said on Instagram. "I’m very upset, actually. I’m not feeling good about this. I was ready to hoop. I think the season’s over with, to be honest with y’all. I don’t know anything about it."

Ohio State was still figuring out its plans as far as returning back to Columbus, a team spokesman said.