Ohio State-Purdue | Scarlet & Gray Matter
Ray Stein’s observations about Saturday's game:
The game at hand
• Short-attention-span synopsis: Big drum, bigger drumming. Buckeyes were on the road again, and on the ropes again. And then they couldn’t answer the bell. Uncle, already. Running game: Have you seen us?
• Pregame buzz: Between injuries and ineffective play in various areas — such as running backs, offensive line, secondary — Ohio State seemed to be limping to its only off week of the regular season. But history tells us that Purdue has never been an easy out for the Buckeyes, and a rejuvenated program under Jeff Brohm was primed for prime time, especially after three wins to offset an 0-3 start.
Join the conversation at Facebook.com/BuckeyeXtra and connect with us on Twitter @BuckeyeXtra
• Worth the trip? The beauty of a roadie at Purdue — much like games at Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and a few other spots where they’d rather be dead than red — is that the scarlet tops tend to stand out. There is no blending in, like there might be at Wisconsin, Nebraska or Indiana. It’s especially noticeable during the rare OSU losses, and there were plenty of glum faces in red garb after that one.
• This week in vanity plates: BOILED
• How the team sees it: Every College Football Playoff has included a team with one loss in it. We’ll be fine after we get a week of rest and regroup.
• How the pollsters will see it: Have you ever seen a cinder block sink to the bottom of a lake?
• How Buckeye Nation sees it: We can take losing the occasional game. Well, no, that’s not true. But we really can’t deal with these embarrassments.
They said it
• Your turn/the channel: Like anyone else who watched it, ABC’s lead prime-time crew of Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit seemed to sense the possibility of a Purdue upset, and rode those waves until they proved to swamp the Buckeyes. In the end, even Herbstreit had to acknowledge that his alma mater had laid a monumental egg. Regarding the ABC production, however, the insistence on replays make it virtually impossible to keep pace with live plays. These are hurry-up offenses, yo. So hurry up!
Former Buckeye Corner
@Tim_Anderson54: Cannot believe how the #Buckeyes are playing right now!!
@sweatandrew: Our linebackers and offensive line are the worst I’ve seen at Ohio State in years.
Numbers for dummies
27-3: Ohio State’s record in true road games under Urban Meyer
104: Points OSU has allowed in its last two road losses, at Iowa last year and Purdue
9: Night games on the road for Ohio State the past three seasons
2: Night games at home for OSU the past three seasons
6.4: Average yards gained on 73 pass plays for the Buckeyes against Purdue
3.0: Average yards gained on 25 run plays
18: Touches for Purdue freshman Rondale Moore, resulting in 252 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns
Is it possible that a college football team could get caught looking ahead to the one week they’ve had circled on their schedule? Of course, and in Ohio State’s case its off week has finally arrived. The Buckeyes don’t play again until meeting Nebraska on Nov. 3. In the meantime, they can heal and lick their wounds from a supreme beatdown. Maybe work on some schemes and such, too. I don’t know, it’s a thought.
Best responses to the game on Twitter:
@nicegroundhog: What is that smell?!! Oh yeah, it is the #Buckeyes stinking up the field!
@doliver184: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
@brian_bjones: I’ve shaken my head so much at this game I’m getting vertigo.
@Novembersixth18: You should never watch the Buckeyes sober. Tonight is a prime example why
@DollarDogSports: Urban really needs to get Zeke more carries
@stuartjosborne: I know it’s Sweetest Day, but can the #Buckeyes quit holding Purdue players? Good Grief.
@buckeyebatman1: I’m out! Can’t ruin a Saturday. Monday through Friday suck bad enough. Thanks Buckeyes
@Buckmich1: Every buckeye d player should have black stripe put back on. Gutless as usual.
@jayhoster: Coach Stud ain’t.
@johnnybunn: Vontaze Burfict thinks the Buckeyes have too many penalties.
@NMBBuckeye: My casual #Buckeyes observer mom watched about 30 seconds of the game, saw his reaction to a play and instantly said Urban Meyer does not care about football the same way he did before the offseason Zach Smith crap happened.
A hammer to Buckeyes’ head
Will it wake them up?