Ohio State guard Wyatt Davis reportedly opting out of football season, heading to NFL
Ohio State offensive guard Wyatt Davis will leave the program in order to enter the NFL draft, he told Yahoo! Sports in comments published Friday morning.
An Ohio State source confirmed Davis’ departure and said “no one else right now” is leaving.
Davis is the Buckeyes’ first player to publicly opt out of the 2020 season, which was postponed by the Big Ten last month due to the coronavirus pandemic.
With other conferences, including the Atlantic Coast, Big 12 and Southeastern, planning to open their seasons this month, the Buckeyes’ chances of competing for a national championship appear increasingly faint.
The potential lack of title race was a big factor in the decision by Davis, a fourth-year junior who also considered turning pro after last season, in which Ohio State reached the College Football Playoff but lost in the semifinals to Clemson.
“My family and I were waiting to hear any good news that there would be a possibility to play in the fall,” Davis told Yahoo. “As the weeks went on, after the initial cancellation, the news didn’t seem in favor that we would have an opportunity to play for a national championship if there was a season. At this point, my family and I made the decision that it would be my best decision to take the next step.”
In his comments to the website, Davis added, “It’s really heartbreaking,”
Davis is among several Ohio State players who could be selected in the first round of the NFL draft next season, including quarterback Justin Fields and cornerback Shaun Wade, who are both underclassmen and eligible to turn pro.
Fields has taken part in recent practices for Ohio State, according to photos shared by the team’s social media account.