Meet the Penn State Nittany Lions: Ohio State looking for sixth straight win in series
The Ohio State football team will face Big Ten East rivals Penn State on Oct. 29 at Beaver Stadium. The Buckeyes have won five straight in the series and nine of the past 11 dating back to the 2011 season.
Ohio State defeated Penn State 33-24 last season – the third straight loss for a spiraling Nittany Lions team that started the year 5-0. Penn State went 2-3 after the loss to Buckeyes, including an Outback Bowl loss to Arkansas.
Ohio State schedule 2022:Kickoff times for three more Ohio State football games announced, including Toledo game
Big Ten Media Day:2022 Big Ten football media days to return to Indianapolis in July
Penn State's last win over Ohio State came on Oct. 22, 2016, the famous night where the Nittany Lions returned a blocked field goal for a touchdown to knock off the No. 2-ranked Buckeyes.
2016 was the only season that Penn State managed to win a Big Ten championship since the conference introduced a title game in 2011.
The Nittany Lions appear poised for a bounce back after 2021's 7-6 record, coming in at No. 12 in ESPN's preseason Top 25 released in June.
Here's what to know about the 2022 Penn State Nittany Lions.
Buckeyes vs. Nittany Lions all-time record
Ohio State holds the edge in the all-time series with Penn State, holding a 23-13 advantage.
The Nittany Lions are 6-9 all-time at home against the Buckeyes.
Has Penn State coach James Franklin ever beaten the Buckeyes?
Franklin has one win against Buckeyes – the 2016 "Kick Six" game.
For his career, Franklin is 1-7 against Ohio State.
What did Penn State football do in 2021?
A season that began with high expectations (Penn State was picked second in the Big Ten East behind Ohio State) started out with the Nittany Lions rising up to being ranked No. 4 nationally… then disaster struck.
Wins against unranked Maryland and Rutgers and losses to ranked Michigan, Michigan State and Arkansas rounded out the season.
Penn State ended up 7-6 overall and 4-5 in the Big Ten.
What does the Penn State football schedule 2022 look like?
Penn State begins the season with two of its first three games on the road – a season opener on a Thursday at Purdue and a Week 3 trip to play at Auburn.
Besides at Week 6 trip to Michigan, most of the Nittany Lions' toughest Big Ten games will be at home.
Penn State will host the Buckeyes on Oct. 29, the fifth conference game of the season for the Nittany Lions.
Here's what Penn State's schedule looks like:
- Week 1: Penn State at Purdue, 8 p.m., Sept. 1, in West Lafayette, Ind.
- Week 2: Penn State vs. Ohio University, Sept. 10, Noon, in University Park, Pa.
- Week 3: Penn State at Auburn, Sept. 17, 3:30 p.m. in Auburn, Ala.
- Week 4: Penn State vs. Central Michigan, Sep 24, TBA, in University Park, Pa.
- Week 5: Penn State vs. Northwestern, Oct. 1, TBA, in University Park, Pa.
- Week 6: Penn State at Michigan, Oct. 15, TBA, in Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Week 7: Penn State vs. Minnesota, Oct. 22, 7:30 p.m., in University Park, Pa.
- Week 8: Penn State vs. Ohio State, Oct. 29, TBA, in University Park, Pa.
- Week 9: Penn State at Indiana, Nov. 5, TBA, in Indiana Bloomington, Ind.
- Week 10: Penn State vs. Maryland, Nov. 12, TBA, in University Park, Pa.
- Week 11: Penn State at Rutgers, Nov 19 (Sat) TBA, in Piscataway, N.J.
- Week 12: Penn State vs. Michigan State, Nov 26, TBA, in University Park, Pa.
Sean Clifford is back at quarterback for Penn State
Clifford, an Ohio native who played at Cincinnati St. Xavier, is back as a super senior. He has played in 38 games in his career with 33 starts and has his name all over the Nittany Lions' record book.
The 6-foot-2, 216 pound signal caller is the school's all-time leader at Penn State in completion percentage, second in career passing touchdowns and third all-time in passing yardage, completions and passing efficiency.
Former Miami head coach Manny Diaz is Penn State's new defensive coordinator
Diaz, who spent three seasons coaching the Hurricanes, takes over a defense that allowed over 24 points in only two games last season.
Prior to taking over as head coach at Miami, Diaz was a well-respected defensive coordinator at several schools from 2006-18.
The biggest question will be how to replace Arnold Ebiketie. Ebiketie registered 9.5 sacks last season, but the rest of the Nittany Lions combined for only 17.5.
Dani Dennis-Sutton, Nick Singleton and Drew Allar top-rated recruits in Penn State's 2022 class
The Nittany Lions ended up with 247sports.com's sixth-rated recruiting class.
Five-star recruits Dennis-Sutton, Singleton and Allar lead the way.
While Allar, a quarterback from Medina, might not see much time with Clifford returning, the other two can make an immediate impact.
Dennis-Sutton was ranked No. 29 overall nationally, and the No. 7 defensive line prospect by 247 sports.com.
Singleton was ranked 31st nationally, and was the top-ranked running back by 247sports.com.
With holes to fill at running back, and with the pass rush, the youngsters might get their chance to shine.
Who are the best NFL 2023 Draft prospects for Penn State?
Cornerback Joey Porter Jr. is a possible first-round pick in the draft. The son of the former Pittsburgh Steelers great could become the first Nittany Lions defensive back ever chosen in the first round.
Wide receiver Parker Washington is in line to replace first-round pick Jahan Dotson this season. Pro Football Focus ranked Washington as one of the top-10 draft prospects at wide receiver.
Ohio State football schedule 2022
- Week 1: Ohio State vs. Notre Dame, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 3, in Columbus, Ohio
- Week 2: Ohio State vs. Arkansas State, Sept. 10, in Columbus, Ohio
- Week 3: Ohio State vs. Toledo, Sept. 17, in Columbus, Ohio
- Week 4: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin, Sept. 24, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 5: Ohio State vs. Rutgers, Oct. 1, Columbus Ohio
- Week 6: Ohio State vs. Michigan State, Oct. 8, East Lansing, Mich.
- Week 7: Ohio State vs. Iowa, Oct. 22, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 8: Ohio State vs. Penn State, Oct. 29, State College, Pa.
- Week 9: Ohio State vs. Northwestern, Nov. 5, Evanston, Ill.
- Week 10: Ohio State vs Indiana, Nov. 12, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 11: Ohio State vs. Maryland, Nov. 19, College Park, MD.
- Week 12: Ohio State vs. Michigan, at noon Nov. 26, Columbus, Ohio