Former OSU coach Urban Meyer contacted by Nebraska football about head coach position
Urban Meyer received a warm welcome from Nebraska fans when he arrived on campus for FOX's "Big Noon Kickoff" pregame show.
But the former Ohio State football coach may be on the list for potential hires for the Cornhuskers.
According to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, Meyer was contacted by Nebraska as the program starts its process for determining candidates to replace coach Scott Frost.
It was not made clear if Meyer was asked about his interest of becoming Nebraska's next head coach.
OSU Headlines newsletter:Sign up for our daily newsletter on Ohio State sports
Ohio State vs. Toledo by the numbers:By the numbers: When was the last time Ohio State lost to Toledo or another MAC team?
OSU transfer safety making impact:Veteran transfer Tanner McCalister making impact in Ohio State football secondary
"You're gonna hear about a lot of names. That's good," Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts said. "That means we're going to talk to a lot of people because we're going to clearly define what our values are, and we're not going to hire coaches who don't believe in what we believe in."
ESPN's Pete Thamel reported Sunday there has been no contact between Meyer and Nebraska, saying he's expected to remain at FOX and not pursue coaching opportunities.
Urban Meyer speaks highly of Nebraska football fans
Meyer had some nice things to say about Nebraska fans when "Big Noon Kickoff" started Saturday morning before picking the Cornhuskers to beat No. 6 Oklahoma.
"I told you this," Meyer said. "This place is second to none. Regardless of the score, regardless of the record, this is the best fanbase I have ever coached against."
Joining the program in 2012 with two national titles at Florida, the Toledo native led the Buckeyes to a national title in 2014 and another College Football Playoff appearance in 2016 before retiring two seasons later.
In Ohio State's history, Meyer has the fourth-most wins, sitting behind Woody Hayes (1951-78, 205 wins), John Cooper (1988-2000, 111 wins) and Jim Tressel (2001-10, 94 wins), before he left the program in 2018, leading the Buckeyes to a Rose Bowl win against Washington.
According to BetOnline, Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell is the betting favorite to take the Nebraska job at 4/1, while Kentucky coach Mark Stoops, Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson are all at the top of the list.
Meyer has 11/1 odds to take the Cornhuskers job.
Ohio State football's 2022 schedule
- Week 1: Ohio State 21, Notre Dame 10
- Week 2: Ohio State 45, Arkansas State 12
- Week 3:Ohio State vs. Toledo, Sept. 17, in Columbus, Ohio
- Week 4: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin, Sept. 24, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 5: Ohio State vs. Rutgers, Oct. 1, Columbus Ohio
- Week 6:Ohio State vs. Michigan State, Oct. 8, East Lansing, Mich.
- Week 7:Ohio State vs. Iowa, Oct. 22, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 8:Ohio State vs. Penn State, Oct. 29, State College, Pa.
- Week 9: Ohio State vs. Northwestern, Nov. 5, Evanston, Ill.
- Week 10:Ohio State vs Indiana, Nov. 12, Columbus, Ohio
- Week 11: Ohio State vs. Maryland, Nov. 19, College Park, MD.
- Week 12: Ohio State vs. Michigan, at noon Nov. 26, Columbus, Ohio